ubuntu bulletproof x

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Mon Sep 3 20:27:58 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-03 at 21:07 +0100, Naheem Zaffar wrote:
> I think the onus should be on the other foot.

Come on. We're a community here. This isn't supposed to be a debate
where one's only concern is to win the argument. I believe the onus to
reply is on anyone who knows the answer to the question. In case no one
knows the answer for certain, then ideally it would be on all of us who
wants what is best for the project.

Anyway, I thought I'd find out for myself. I went to the ViewSonic
website and downloaded the drivers for WinXP
(http://www.viewsonic.com/support/drivers/download.cfm?key=37). It turns
out that they supply 2 to 3 file per monitor. An optional .cat file
(Catalog file. not sure what that is but it looks like a signature
file), an .icm file (Microsoft ICM Color Profile) and the .inf file.

I took a random INF file and am pasting it in this email. I'm also just
pasting the parts which seem relative to the objective of coming up with
valid Modes and ModeLines:

[VLCDS23412-1.Install]                                             ;VX800
DelReg=DEL_CURRENT_REG
AddReg=VLCDS23412-1.AddReg,1280,DPMS
Copyfiles=VLCDS23412-1.CopyFiles

[DEL_CURRENT_REG]
HKR,MODES
HKR,,MaxResolution
HKR,,DPMS
HKR,,ICMProfile

[1280]
HKR,,MaxResolution,,"1280,1024"

[DPMS]
HKR,,DPMS,,1

[VLCDS23412-1.AddReg]                                              ;VX800
HKR,"MODES\1280,1024",Mode1,,"24-82,56-85,+,+"
HKR,,ICMProfile,0,"VX800.ICM"

[VLCDS23412-1.CopyFiles]
VX800.ICM

I've no idea what these are for, but I'm hoping someone who knows a lot
more can tell me if there's any value here.

Unfortunately, I don't know which monitors / displays don't give correct
EDID information so this is as far as my research could go.
--

Richi Plana