Viewing changelog entries on package updates (was Re: changelogs in packages and space use)

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Sep 4 14:14:55 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-01 at 17:38 -0400, Stewart Adam wrote:
> A configurable option in Pirut that would display the changelog entries
> of a package from the currently installed version to the updated version
> in the 'Update Details' window would be very useful. I'm just not sure
> how hard it would be to integrate into Pirut / if the metadata contains
> that information so I'll say sorry in advance if this is completely
> unfeasible/unreasonable.

Well, the idea is that the update notices[1] can provide this
information and that should be back RSN.  Downloading the changelog data
gets kind of painful (the metadata file with changelogs is currently at
twice the size of the filelists which I consider pretty painfully large
to have to download)

Jeremy

[1] The problem is that rawhide doesn't have these.  Although I have
seriously considered writing the simple stupid "snag the last n
changelogs and stuff them into the update metadata format" script that
could then be run on rawhide pushes.  Even better would be if it did the
changelog diff from the previously pushed package like the rawhide mails
do.  If someone wants to work on this, let me know and I can help point
you in the right direction