NetworkManager and "illegal" SSID chars = crash?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Sep 5 14:36:29 UTC 2007

On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 04:13:29PM +0300, Pekka Pietikainen wrote:
> Actually 802.11 says SSID's are octet strings of 1-32 bytes, doesn't
> have to be alphanumeric. If NM barfs on unprintable chars, then it's a bug
> and should be fixed (Showing unprintable chars using escape codes
> to the user etc.)

It's not even unprintable characters -- just punctuation.

I'm not 100% sure this is the problem, but it seems highly likely given that
the two places it reliably crashes are the two places iwlist scan shows
url-formatted ssids.

And yes, it's certainly a bug -- data literally *floating out there in the
air* should not crash any program.