NetworkManager and "illegal" SSID chars = crash?

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Wed Sep 5 15:26:56 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 16:13 +0300, Pekka Pietikainen wrote:
> Actually 802.11 says SSID's are octet strings of 1-32 bytes, doesn't
> have to be alphanumeric. If NM barfs on unprintable chars, then it's a bug
> and should be fixed (Showing unprintable chars using escape codes
> to the user etc.)

Shouldn't those octet character strings be converted to Unicode strings,
anyway? I thought that Gtk (via Pango) had displaying international
character down pat.

I remember seeing unprintable characters in the SSID field once (or was
it the network name field? I forget. I thought it was a bug). I think it
was U+0000 so that really doesn't tell me whether a proper 8-bit
ASCII->Unicode (UTF-8?) conversion was made.
--

Richi Plana