Goal: Increased Modularity?

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Wed Sep 5 16:37:24 UTC 2007

Speaking of Modularization, The FESCo meeting announcement
(https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-September/msg00373.html) mentions the proposal to pack up all kmods into the kernel package (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DavidWoodhouse/KmodProposal) ... if I understand that correctly.

While it solves the problem of having things "just work" when hardware
is introduced, it's a pale surrender to the arduous task of breaking
down the kernel into modules and detecting the hardware and pulling in
the appropriate kmod package. Here's where many people come clamoring
for a thinner, more optimized distribution. Would it be possible to come
up with a thinner spin of Fedora if all the kernel modules are in
"kernel"? How do smaller devices with limited storage use Fedora,
anyway? I know the OLPC XO device is based off of Fedora. Does it have
all the kernel mods installed, as well?

I know people like Axel Thimm are doing their best to come up with
elegant ways to package kernel modules and fix the versioning issues
associated with kernel updates. He's coming up with what he calls kmdl2.
Wouldn't Fedora be interested in his efforts? It would really be nice if
Fedora blessed a system for handling kernel modules because the external
repos seem to have their own (livna uses kmod, atrpms use kmdl, etc.)
and it confuses me. (but I could just be the minority)
--

Richi Plana