NetworkManager and "illegal" SSID chars = crash?

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Wed Sep 5 20:39:59 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 22:11 +0200, Benny Amorsen wrote:

> RP> Since no semantics has been proposed, then it stands to reason
> RP> that one can just assume 1 byte = 1 character and a straight "byte
> RP> value = Unicode value" conversion should be adopted, right? (No
> RP> codepage conversions).
>
> Those two are incompatible. If you have 1 byte = 1 character, then
> you're not using Unicode (ok, you could be doing UTF-8 without any
> high bits set, but that's better known as ASCII).

Sorry. I have to remind myself that when I write, I shouldn't leave any
room for misinterpretation.

What I meant was that for character lengths, we can assume a fixed width
of 1 byte. And for the Unicode values, we just assume the byte value.
And as Ian mentioned in a previous post, apparently that's exactly what
ISO-8859-1 is so scrap any explanation I gave and let's just say
ISO-8859-1, :).
--

Richi Plana