Plan for tomorrows (20070906) FESCO meeting

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Sep 6 06:46:42 UTC 2007

> On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 17:41:02 -0700
> Peter Gordon <peter at thecodergeek.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 19:49 -0400, Brian Pepple wrote:
> > > Probably, though I'm against killing it. I'll probably bring this
> > > up for discussion at the end of the meeting, since we have some
> > > other topics that are a lot more pressing.
> >
> > Yeah, I'm against killing it for the same reasons as have been stated.
> > Just was curious, that's all. :)
>
> How's this for odd.  We asked to kill it on -maintainers and nobody
> objected.  We blurb about it on -devel and now we get objections?
Because subscription to -maintainers isn't mandatory?

> So we have now 'fedora-devel-announce' which is used to announce things
> pertinent to the developers of (and on) Fedora.  People who want low
> traffic, just the announces please can subscribe to that.
IMO, all maintainers should be interested in reading maintainers, or
they better should not call themselves maintainers.

To maintainers@, yes.

>   This list echos
> to fedora-devel list right now, so that if you're on -devel, you get
> the postings, and all followup discussion.  The reality is that
> development of, and development on Fedora are so closely tied that
> trying to have a different list for each just doesn't work.
Only because some people don't want to learn to distinguish between
devel and maintainers? To me things like "nouveau vs. nv" are clearly
devel questions, while buildsystem ("bodhi/koji/plague") issues or
"AWOL" issues are maintainer questions which are highly non interesting
to "general developers".

>   That's why
> I'm proposing that -maintainers gets shut down, all discussion goes
> back to -devel list, and people can subscribe to fedora-devel-announce
> if they just want the low traffic announcements.
It you go this route, consider to close down all other devel, test
packaging etc lists and to merge them with @-devel, because anything
discussed their-in is somehow "development of the distro". ;)

Ralf