kernel modules/kmods/dkms (Re: Plan for tomorrows (20070906) FESCO meeting)

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sat Sep 8 11:18:22 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-08 at 08:57 +0200, Till Maas wrote:
> There are some open questions to how to get a new kernel module into Fedora,
> once this proposal is accepted.

The best answer to this will _always_ be:
	Mail it to torvalds at linux-foundation.org.

However, we've often added new stuff to the kernel package, when it's
_almost_ ready to go upstream or we have a particular need for it in the
distribution.

> Who will decide whether a new kernel module will be accepted as a patch for
> the kernel rpm?

I thought that was made explicitly clear in the proposal on the wiki.

> Will there be a guideline on how to add a kernel module as a
> patch to the kernel rpm?

Prepare the patch as you would send it to Linus. Do so. If there's a
_damn_ good reason for wanting it in Fedora sooner, then ask. The
precise mechanism for asking isn't clear -- personally I usually just
mail davej or hassle him on IRC. Perhaps bugzilla would be more
appropriate? I haven't written that down, because it's mostly down to
the preference of the kernel RPM maintainers.

> How will proposed kernel modules be reviewed /
> decided, whether or not it is good enough to be included in the kernel rpm?

Dave looks into the magic 8-ball, which tells him whether to accept it
or not.

More seriously: In general, if it's good enough then Linus will accept
it. If not, he won't. Exceptions to that rule can be handled on a
case-by-case basis, and the final arbiter will be... well, I've said
that already.

--
dwmw2