Aggregation upstream projects are BAD (kdesdk for example)

Peter Lemenkov lemenkov at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 14:12:20 UTC 2007

> > Heh :)
> > Have you ever tried to install, say mp3-decoding plugins into
> > GStreamer? There are a 4 subpackages with nothing-said-about-content
> > names as gstreamer-plugins-bad, gstreamer-plugins-good etc.
> > If I grep through "yum list" results I see nothing in this case but I
> > never heard that anybody wants to change this situation.

> Well, the above is really a bug to file for livna - but again - ask them
> to add provides.

In case of mp3 - yes. But what about flac, ogg, wavpack etc?

[petro at Sulaco ~]$ sudo yum install gstreamer-plugins-ogg
fedora                    100% |=========================| 2.1 kB    00:00
livna                     100% |=========================| 2.1 kB    00:00
updates                   100% |=========================| 1.9 kB    00:00
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
Nothing to do
[petro at Sulaco ~]$

Lets look a little closer:

====================================

[petro at Sulaco ~]$ yum info gstreamer-plugins-good gstreamer-plugins-base
Available Packages
Name   : gstreamer-plugins-base
Arch   : ppc
Version: 0.10.13
Release: 1.fc7
Size   : 831 k
Repo   : updates
GStreamer is a streaming media framework, based on graphs of filters which
operate on media data. Applications using this library can do anything
from real-time sound processing to playing videos, and just about anything
else media-related.  Its plugin-based architecture means that new data
types or processing capabilities can be added simply by installing new
plug-ins.

This package contains a set of well-maintained base plug-ins.

Name   : gstreamer-plugins-good
Arch   : ppc
Version: 0.10.5
Release: 6.fc7
Size   : 746 k
Repo   : fedora
GStreamer is a streaming media framework, based on graphs of filters which
operate on media data. Applications using this library can do anything
from real-time sound processing to playing videos, and just about anything
else media-related.  Its plugin-based architecture means that new data
types or processing capabilities can be added simply by installing new
plug-ins.

GStreamer Good Plug-ins is a collection of well-supported plug-ins of
good quality and under the LGPL license.

[petro at Sulaco ~]$

So many words about licensing and other evil stuff but nothing about
what's inside...
--
With best regards!