Push Updates

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Sun Sep 9 17:38:07 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-09-09 at 19:02 +0200, nodata wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 09.09.2007, 08:46 -0600 schrieb Richi Plana:
> > Is there a system to make a build system push updates to computers in a
> > scheduled manner? I'd like to set up a local Koji build system for
> > building private packages and signal slave computers to start
> > downloading the packages from their fastest mirror (throughput). I'd
> > like to do it in a scheduled manner, though, so even though the repos
> > are distributed, I still don't bring any down with an avalanche.
> > Ideally, I would have the mirrors signal the update since it knows best
> > if it's being overloaded or not.
> > --
> >
> > Richi Plana
> >

> Sounds like Satellite server..

The only reference I could find for "Satellite server" is for the RHN
Satellite Server
(http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/RHNetwork/satellite/4.1.0/index.html). After going through a couple chapters of the manual, I still don't have an idea what it actually does, :-p. It just says it's the solution to package management.

At any rate, it's RHN and I don't know if the code for that is actually
being released. I'm looking for a solution I can actually use. If one
exists, then nice. If not, then I'm wondering if anyone is interested in
such a project.

> Anyway. You can do what you want very easily with fastestmirror and a
> yum upgrade or rsync (for the mirrors) randomised over a few hours.

I've no problem with pushing files to a mirror. I'm not sure how
fastestmirror works. What principle does it use to determine which is
the fastest mirror? Random is one way of ensuring things (I think Smolt
uses something like that), but it isn't very scientific, is it? I doubt
it's the most optimized, but it is the most expedient.
--

Richi Plana