Enhancement proposal for Firefox

Adalbert Prokop adalbert.prokop at gmx.de
Sun Sep 9 22:09:42 UTC 2007

Hello!

I'd like to propose an enhancement for the Firefox's start script. It
includes two changes:

1. Give the user the choice which version of Firefox is started,
   especially on 64-bit architectures.
2. Use alsa-oss to allow Firefox (or its plugins) play sound. AFAIK they
   use OSS now, which will fail in most cases, because /dev/dsp is almost
   constantly in use by arts/esd/whatever.

Motivation
==========
I lately installed F7 on an AMD64 machine and had some problems with
firefox plugins, because most of them don't exist for 64 bit
architectures. I decided to use the 32 bit version, but it's not easy to
achieve it, because /usr/bin/firefox alwas uses the output of uname -m to
choose the version.

And alsa-oss simply because I was sorry either to have a soundless browser
or to change scripts.

How to do it
============
I have attached a patch, which will do what I suggested. It uses two
environment variables: MOZ_ARCH and MOZ_AOSS.

If MOZ_ARCH is set, it's value is used to determine the firefox version,
if it's not set, uname -m is called like before.

Simmilarly MOZ_AOSS could contain the path to the aoss application. If not
set, it would default to /usr/bin/aoss. If set to "none", alsa-oss would
be ommited completely.

Both variables could be set in /etc/profile.d to provide system wide
settings.

What do you think about these enhancements?

--
Bye,
Adalbert

It is said that the lonely eagle flies to the mountain peaks while the
lowly ant crawls the ground, but cannot the soul of the ant soar as high
as the eagle?