Aggregation upstream projects are BAD (kdesdk for example)

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Sun Sep 9 14:29:32 UTC 2007

On 2007-09-09, 13:18 GMT, Michel Salim wrote:
>> > Since on of Fedora's strenghts is being always up to date
>> > with the latest upstream versions, I think using these kind
>> > of upstream aggregation projects is a BAD idea as it creates
>> > interlocks with regards to versions between clearly seperate
>> > projects like kdesdk and umbrello.
>
> Ditto, though in this case, umbrello happens to *also* be part of kdesdk:

This is the situation for all KDE programs -- KDE team in Fedora
is apparently so small that they managed to do anything else than
just repackaging upstream tarballs (I don't know more about that
being GNOMEr, but I have certainly nothing against KDE -- I would
use it myself, if not being employed in RH desktop team). You had
problem with umbrello, but exactly the same situation is with
kmail, knode, and others. See this example:

[root at viklef ~]# yum list kmail knode konqueror konsole kwrite \
    kword koffice kspread kopete
updates-testing           100% |=========================| 1.9 kB    00:00
livna                     100% |=========================| 2.1 kB    00:00
fedora                    100% |=========================| 2.1 kB    00:00
adobe-linux-i386          100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
fedora-debuginfo          100% |=========================| 1.9 kB    00:00
updates-testing-debuginfo 100% |=========================| 1.9 kB    00:00
updates                   100% |=========================| 1.9 kB    00:00
texlive                   100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
Error: No matching Packages to list
[root at viklef ~]#

Of course, it would be nice to create kmail as a subpackage of
kdepim (as it is done in Debian --
http://packages.debian.org/sarge/kmail is a subpackage of source
package kdepim -- see "Source" label on the top of the page), but
I am afraid it would be asking KDE team to do more work than they
are able to do.

Best,

Matěj

--
http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/blog/, Jabber: ceplma<at>jabber.cz

All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember
that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you.
Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a
reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
    -- IBM maintenance manual, 1925