Announcing rpmfusion

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Wed Sep 12 11:55:28 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-12 at 08:08 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le mardi 11 septembre 2007 à 23:19 -0400, Bill Nottingham a écrit :
> > Rodd Clarkson (rodd at clarkson.id.au) said:
> > > The installer asks you to locate your time-zone.  Couldn't you use this
> > > as a trigger for including the US patent encumbered stuff for non US
> > > citizens.
> > >
> > > Oh and could this be used for setting my paper preference to A4 by
> > > default instead of having to change this each time I set up a printer?
> >
> > Doesn't LC_PAPER cover this?
>
> If apps respected it.
>  locale|grep PAPER
> LC_PAPER="fr_FR.UTF-8 ← should not be letter

Hmmm, I get

[rodd at localhost ~]$ locale | grep PAPER
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"

I use US english, but I live in Australia (which is used as my timezone)
so what should it do?

Personally, I think it should default to ISO (A4) and then this might
get the attention of US developers who find themselves using the wrong
paper and fixing this properly.  I don't know how many countries use
non-ISO paper sizes, but there can't be too many (Rumor has it, it's the
US and one small country nobody knows the name of)

> So many apps hardcode letter by default and revert to it at the
> slightest excuse it's not even remotely funny. (another favorite is if
> you press print in the app before powering on your printer, the system
> will remember the printer was stopped and you have to go into
> system-config-printer to restart the print queue)

I thought this was fixed, but maybe it isn't.  It was (however) very annoying.

R.
 It's much better on my side"