Announcing rpmfusion

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 13:38:10 UTC 2007

Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:

>> There is a lot of differences between pointing to the repository and
>> including the packages directly as I already explained in Fedora
>> Advisory Board list so I won't rehash all the arguments again now.
>> Please read the releated threads if you missed it. In short, it is not
>> possible to include patent-encumbered packages directly in the
>> repository as long as it hosted in US. Pointing to it might very well
>> be possible.
>>

> Seriously though, this is just plain dumb wrong:
>
> If we cannot include the packages in our own repositories but we can
> point to other repositories that do have the packages, nothing prevents
> us from distributing the appropriate /etc/yum.repos.d/ files in the
> fedora-release package.

Or, if you need another level of indirection, include a repo that
doesn't itself have anything controversial but has a package that
configures yum for repos that might.

> So, I'll back up Jesse's question:
>  >> And really, if we could reference it, then why the crap couldn't we
>  >> just package it in our repo?

Or - why not move the entire repo to places that can have all the
contents?  What's the point of even worrying about this issue?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesesll at gmail.com