Announcing rpmfusion

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Sep 12 16:44:40 UTC 2007

On 12.09.2007 18:13, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 17:58:37 +0200
> Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
>
>> FYI for Livna I tried something else, but it didn't work out. I just
>> used the same groups as Fedora in Livna (as Fedora Extras did in the
>> past for Core as well) and made some crucial packages 'type="default"'
>> -- for example gstreamer-plugins-ugly for the "GNOME Desktop
>> Environment" . I assumed anaconda would then install
>> gstreamer-plugins-ugly by default as "GNOME Desktop Environment" is
>> selected by default. But anaconda/pirut did not do that (and I assume
>> it still don't).
>>
>> I think they should (I filed a bug, but it got closed iirc), as that
>> way would be the cleanest for a 3rd party repo to get the right
>> packages (e.g. depending on the groups they selected) to the users.
>
> At initial install time, if the livna repo is added, then what is
> selected by default is the aggregate of all the repos contents of a
> group.  So yes, at install time this would be selected.

No, it's not, if you don't change anything after activating livna. Only
if you unselect the gnome group (which is enabled by default) once and
select it again, then the livna-package gets added as well.

(BTW, even livna-specific groups that are marked as "default" don't get
installed, thus there is not even a way to get the livna-release package
automatically installed with anaconda in F7; yes, there is a bug about
it somewhere in bugzilla, but it got closed)

>  After that
> though, stuff isn't magically "added" just because it's marked as a
> default in a group when you launch pirut, nor should it.

I'm not really sure about the "nor should it" part. Maybe yes, maybe no.

Example: For user "eve" that is a tough girl and remembers to enable
livna during install it would really be the easiest solution if she gets
some of the livna packages by default depending on the groups she
selects/that got selected by anaconda/yum by default.

But consider user "adam", who forgot to enable livna during install or
was not able to do so -- for him it would mean that he needs to look
through all all the groups and guess which packages he might needs to
add to get the important stuff.

The only "workaround" today afaics: create special groups, e.g.
"livna/rpmfusion gnome" and "livna/rpmfusion kde" and mark the
"livna/rpmfusion gnome" group as default. Then adam can easily select
the group later and eve will get the gnome package by default. But then
evetoo would need to remember to switch of both the "livna/rpmfusion
gnome" and "Fedora gnome" and enable both "livna/rpmfusion kde" and
"Fedora KDE" if she wants to use KDE -- that sucks as well.

If there is any better way: please let me know.

CU
knurd