Disable IPv6 by default.

David Cantrell dcantrell at redhat.com
Thu Sep 13 14:30:42 UTC 2007

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 14:09:02 +0000
"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at hi.is> wrote:

> I don't know the strategy behind this  decision  from the beginning?
> ( maybe publicity  stunt  or to show the world we could  )
> Yeah, weee, the crowd goes wild *applause applause*

Not really intended as a publicity stunt.  It's a real pain working on IPv6 because very few people actually use it in Fedoraland right now.  Most people just complain about it because it's new and different.

While most users won't switch over to it until absolutely necessary and most companies don't want to change over to it for the sake of changing, the United States Department of Defense is asking for software and hardware to support IPv6 now.

If you want to disable it, you can blacklist the ipv6 module on your system.  Note that actually *having* the module loaded on your system doesn't mean you're using it.  And we really shouldn't be requiring users to enable or disable it to make things work.  IPv6 support should be loaded and the system should work fine even if you are only using IPv4.  And it doesn't now, so other than wanting to remove some lines from ifconfig(8) output or remove some boot up scripts, why do you want it disabled by default?

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell at redhat.com>
Red Hat / Westford, MA