ZyX Rebootless LiveOS Installer, was Re: Windows based installation of Fedora Linux?

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Thu Sep 13 14:44:20 UTC 2007

Ago wrote:
> Douglas McClendon <dmc.fedora <at> filteredperception.org> writes:
>
>> Though given the differences between ubuntu livecd installer, and fedora
>> livecd installer (slow flexible file based copy from squashfs versus
>> fast less-flexible block based copy from squashed ext3 image), there may
>> be other ways (still using the wubi win32 front end) to install.  I
>> sortof alluded to them in a recent thread prior to this one.  I.e. how
>> my mods to anaconda to support rebootless installation from livecd,
>> could be used for a win32 installer.
>
> I'd be interested to know more about it.

rebootless installer -

originally-

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-livecd-list/2006-August/msg00000.html

http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-devel-list/2007-July/msg00768.html

as of a couple days ago - (now with GUI and no patch to F7 required)

http://gzyx.org  (screenshots even- ooh! ahh!)

059fbb7736cccc30f23162ee3411c27639e061f7 gzyx-0.5.004.2k70908a.iso

As it relates to a win32 installer, see my discussion at the beginning
of the current thread-

http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-devel-list/2007-September/msg00099.html

(really the differentiation from current wubi, would be not needing a
2nd reboot.  But to do it for ubuntu, you'd have to get them to go back
to their early 2005 devicemapper-snapshot copy-on-write livecd mechanism)

Enjoy... ;)

-dmc

P.S. - I'll try to have a yum repo up soon for the
"ZyX Rebootless Installer" so that anyone who wants to can just boot up
the F7 livecd like normal, do a yum install of it, and enjoy the
primitive coolness. ;)