Disable IPv6 by default.

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Thu Sep 13 14:53:16 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 10:17 -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 02:09:02PM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> > Let's disable IPv6 by default and let the user enable it.
>
> Why?  Is it causing a problem for you?
>
> IPv6 deployment is a chicken-and-egg problem.  Everything Fedora can
> do to be proactive about encouraging its use should be applauded.  One
> day we will eventually need it, and if we don't work out the wrinkles
> now, we'll be in trouble later.  Windows Vista has it enabled by
> default.  So should Fedora.

It might be causing problems for me that I'm just not aware of. Once
when I was tailing my syslog files, I'd catch NM blocking for a few
seconds on some IPv6 operation. It might be asynchronous or it might not
be, but it's something that I (as a Fedora user) don't want to enable
consciously at this time.

At the very least, make disabling it a one-step process (and free up ALL
resources related to IPv6). Right now, I can't even figure out how to
disable it entirely. There's online documentation on doing this by
editing /etc/sysctl.conf flags, editing files in /etc/sysconfig/ and
removing kernel modules from configuration.

I understand the chicken-and-egg thing, but please help me exercise my
freedom and make it easier for me to disable it.
--

Richi Plana