Disable IPv6 by default.

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Sep 13 15:48:07 UTC 2007

On 13.09.2007 16:17, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 02:09:02PM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> Let's disable IPv6 by default and let the user enable it.
> Why?  Is it causing a problem for you?

I'm all for leaving IPv6 enabled, but I'd like to abuse this thread to
bring something up:

At work we only have a IPv4 dhcp-server. But anaconda seems to look for
a IPv6 dhcp-server during network-install -- that takes about one minute
to time out, which is a bit annoying. Thus I use "noipv6" regularly when
installing Fedora at work.

Are other facing the same problem or is that something that only happens
in this specific network?  Does the timeout really have to be one
minute? Wouldn't something like 10 or 15 seconds suffice if a IPv4
address was found already?

CU
knurd