Disable IPv6 by default.

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Thu Sep 13 16:10:14 UTC 2007

On Thursday 13 September 2007 10:38:14 am Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
> Dennis Gilmore wrote:

> >> Hear Hear...
> >>
> >> Best regards.
> >>               Johann B.
> >
> > Please provide proof of your claims.  where is the security risk?
> > Johann.
> > why exactly do you want ipv6 disabled?
>
> Majority of user are not using it, it's wasting time and resources,
> faster boot time.
>
> When I turn things  "off" or disable them programs should not be wasting
> time and resources
> to be running an constantly listening or checking and wondering if they
> are gonna receive "instruction" to process and further instruct
> a program that I have already disabled.

Please provide hard numbers to prove your claim.

> > Personally other than using it now.  i think that it will be a big step
> > backwards if we disabled ipv6 by default.  for one thing the DOD has
> > mandated that all there systems be running ipv6 by 2008
> > http://www.networkworld.com/news/2005/080105-ipv6.html so you will see
> > much faster acceleration of ipv6 services and usage within the next year
> > since US govt contractors will need to have ipv6 to do there job.
>
> Maybe in the US but in the rest of the world and for companies and like,
> Unless you force them to use
> IPv6 and give them IPv6 compatable hardware they won't switch.

Asia is currently the largest ipv6 users.  they make up over 1/3rd of the
worlds population.   so if europe gets dragged kicking and screaming so be
it.   but there will be a ripple effect.  as the US starts using it more
businesses in Europe will start needing to use it also.

Dennis