rpmlint file-not-utf8

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Thu Sep 13 17:18:04 UTC 2007

On Thursday 13 September 2007, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 17:33 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > The AUTHORS file is fair enough - I can use iconv to convert that to
> > UTF-8.  However I'm concerned about the HTML files.  These are
> > ISO-8859-1 files, and moreover they contain correct Content-Type
> > metadata to mark them as such so I can't see there is a problem with
> > these two files not being UTF-8.
>
> I don't think there's a _problem_ per se; but it's probably better to
> convert them anyway.

If you feel like it, why not.  Be also sure to modify the meta http-equiv
stuff to say UTF-8 if you do it (or use HTML entities to represent non-ASCII
in which case I suppose you could also remove the meta tag).

But quite honestly, I don't think it's a problem at all to leave them as is if
the meta charset declaration is correct.  In fact, I'm going to suppress this
message (as well as the end-of-line char one) for HTML files in upstream
rpmlint right now.