Disable IPv6 by default.

Laurent Rineau laurent.rineau__fedora at normalesup.org
Fri Sep 14 08:25:31 UTC 2007

On Thursday 13 September 2007 21:12:54 Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Simo Sorce <ssorce at redhat.com> said:
> > Remember that IPv6 will probably explode quite fast at some point, like
> > any technology with important network effects do. We ought to be
> > prepared.
>
> My main problem is that I configure IPv4 and I explicitly have IPv6
> turned off (or so it appears in the interface), yet I still have IPv6
> loaded and used.  This causes annoying warnings from programs trying to
> use an unconfigured IPv6 interface.
>
> If I don't configure IPv4, the interface isn't configured; why is it
> that way with IPv6?  If I don't configure anything for IPv6, it is still
> loaded.

It is the way of doing for a end-user machin, in IPv6: you do not need to
configure your IPv6 parameters. If an IPv6-enabled router exists in your
local network, it will broadcast the needed configuration. In a sens IPv6 is
more "plug and play" than IPv4. For that mecanism to work, IPv6 interfaces
are always up.

--
Laurent Rineau
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LaurentRineau