Disable IPv6 by default.

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Sat Sep 15 17:11:44 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-15 at 13:59 +0200, David Woodhouse wrote:
> A whole 30 seconds? You can actually get proper IPv6 connectivity in
> that amount of time, if you have a public IPv4 address:
>
> echo IPV6_DEFAULTDEV=tun6to4 >> /etc/sysconfig/network
> echo IPV6INIT=yes    >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> echo IPV6TO4INIT=yes >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
>
> More details, and how to set it up to route for a whole subnet of
> machines so that all you have to do is plug them in, at
> http://linux.yyz.us/ipv6-fc2-howto.html

I have to ask people who IPv6 this: What are the advantages of using
IPv6 right now? Specially tunneling. Is there anything I can get with
using IPv6 at this point that I can't while using IPv4? There's been
mention of wireless. Does that have anything to do with it?

Last I read up on IPv6, it's sole purpose (and I could be wrong) was
just to address the dwindling address space of IPv4. Currently, are
there any public machines accessible on the Internet that are only
addressable via IPv6? (It just dawned on me that I may be missing out on
a lot of things because I'm not using IPv6 right now).

BTW ... to Cisco engineers out there. How are the core routers coping? I
understand that when the time comes, it'll take a LOT of processing
power to handle the 128-bit address space and the number of smaller
subnets.
--

Richi Plana