Disable IPv6 by default.

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Mon Sep 17 00:14:15 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-15 at 13:59 +0200, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-09-15 at 08:45 -0200, Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:
> > This is just not worth changing defaults over. IPv6 is the future
> > (whether you like it or not), so lets just leave it there to be as ready
> > as possible when the ship sails. I haven't swithced to IPv6 either, but
> > it takes less that 30 secs to disable it on a newly installed system. 30
> > secs that I can easily spare on this.
>
> A whole 30 seconds? You can actually get proper IPv6 connectivity in
> that amount of time, if you have a public IPv4 address:
>
> echo IPV6_DEFAULTDEV=tun6to4 >> /etc/sysconfig/network
> echo IPV6INIT=yes    >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> echo IPV6TO4INIT=yes >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

This worked beautifully until Charter cable got into bed with Microsoft,
in which case I suddenly found 6to4 being quietly dropped into the
bitbucket and non-existent DNS entries redirecting to their search
engine.

Fucking bastards.

(Yes, I fixed the DNS problem using dnsmasq's bogus-nxdomain option.
IPv6 can still be had with Miredo but it doesn't let me route a native
subnet at the router like 6to4. Miredo should be in Fedora, if
possible. :)