Can Name=GenericName go away now, please?

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Mon Sep 17 14:05:16 UTC 2007

I posted similarly to fedora-desktop list, but I thought it may be worth
spreading this discussion to a wider audience.

In particular, can we/fedora consider using better menu names now, so
users know which apps are really behind some generic (and mysterious?)
items in menus(1).

I'm aware of the history that brought us to this point, and using the
generic items, but I think it's time to re-evaluate the decision,
especially in the context of fedora's various spins.

-- Rex

(1) For example,
Internet->Contacts (evolution)
Internet->Email (evolution)