Fwd: Graphical Shutdown

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon Sep 17 14:19:41 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 09:50 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> My mental model of this is that the X session just stays up until the
> computer actually halts, since it's not like the X server maintains
> any state that needs to get flushed to disk.

It's not like anything _else_ maintains state which needs to be flushed
to disk either. If they do, and they can't recover after an unclean
shutdown, then they're mostly broken anyway.

The only things we should really be doing on shutdown are closing
network sockets where appropriate, and the relatively few optimisations
which allow a more optimal startup (like properly unmounting the fs so
that the journal doesn't have to be replayed, etc.).

TBH I've mostly taken to using 'sync; reboot -f', or SysRq-S-U-B to
reboot machines these days; what we do on shutdown is mostly a pointless
waste of time.

--
dwmw2