Can Name=GenericName go away now, please?

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Mon Sep 17 14:27:00 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote:

> Is a tooltip popup with what the application name actually is not
> enough?  We have to satisfy two groups here, those that are looking for
> an "email client" and those that are looking for "thunderbird".

That's insufficient, imo, and besides, runs a bit counter to the
desktop-entry-spec, which defines these relevant entities as:

Name  Specific name of the application, for example "Mozilla".
GenericName  Generic name of the application, for example "Web Browser".
Comment  Tooltip for the entry, for example "View sites on the Internet",
should not be redundant with Name or GenericName.

For the record, the spec handles this, where
Name=Thunderbird
GenericName=Email client
Unfortunately, gnome doesn't support/implement the (optional) GenericName
part yet, which is part of what led us to the point we are now.

A compromise for now would be include GenericName in Name, e.g.
Name=Thunderbird Email
which is what some apps have already implemented (like thunderbird).

-- Rex