Useless OpenEXR split

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de
Mon Sep 17 17:13:48 UTC 2007

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 11:40:24 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:

> Michael Schwendt wrote:

> >> It's cleaner wrt multilib, ie no OpenEXR.i386 in x86_64 repo.
> >>
> >> (same goes for jasper).
> >
> > You didn't answer the question. Why does the -libs package require the
> > tools? Do the libraries need the tools?!
>
> I addressed the assertion that the split was useless. :)
>
> > Just because of the dependency on the main package, optional example
> > programs are installed and cannot be removed.
>
> It's unclear (to me anyway) whether these truly are optional or not, ie, I
> have yet to determine here (or in the jasper case) whether apps assume the
> presence tools/binaries.  In short, I'm playing it safe, and keeping the
> same behavior as when there wasn't a -libs split.

For jasper, the executables are _example programs_. RTFM confirms that.

For OpenEXR, they are referred to as additional utilities. The prefix
"exr" in their names does not appear in any of the libs.

$ rpm -ql OpenEXR-libs
/usr/lib/libHalf.so.4
/usr/lib/libHalf.so.4.0.0
/usr/lib/libIex.so.4
/usr/lib/libIex.so.4.0.0
/usr/lib/libIlmImf.so.4
/usr/lib/libIlmImf.so.4.0.0
/usr/lib/libIlmThread.so.4
/usr/lib/libIlmThread.so.4.0.0
/usr/lib/libImath.so.4
/usr/lib/libImath.so.4.0.0

$ grep -i exr /usr/lib/libHalf.so.4
$ grep -i exr /usr/lib/libIex.so.4
$ grep -i exr /usr/lib/libIlmImf.so.4
Binary file /usr/lib/libIlmImf.so.4 matches
$ grep -i exr /usr/lib/libIlmThread.so.4
$ grep -i exr /usr/lib/libImath.so.4
$

$ strings /usr/lib/libIlmImf.so.4|grep -i exr
_ZN3Imf13isOpenExrFileEPKcRb
_ZN3Imf18isTiledOpenExrFileEPKc
_ZN3Imf13isOpenExrFileEPKc
_ZN3Imf13isOpenExrFileERNS_7IStreamERb
_ZN3Imf18isTiledOpenExrFileERNS_7IStreamE
_ZN3Imf13isOpenExrFileERNS_7IStreamE