EPEL report week 37 2007

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Mon Sep 17 18:00:26 UTC 2007

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/Reports/Week37

(/me still suffered from a cold/has a headache - I hope I didn't do even
more typos then I usually do already when I wrote the report due to that...)

= Weekly EPEL Summary =

Week 37/2007

== Most important happenings ==

 * push scripts improved (see below)

== EPEL SIG Meeting ==

=== Attending ===

 * dgilmore (DennisGilmore)
 * knurd (ThorstenLeemhuis)
 * mmcgrath (MikeMcGrath)
 * Jeff_S (Jeff Sheltren)
 * nirik (KevinFenzi)
 * stahnma (MichaelStahnke)
 * f13 (Jesse Keating)
 * warren (Warren Togami)

=== Summary ===

 * pushing

  * dglimore, nirik and  mschwendt further improved and simplified
pushing directly to stable and moving a package from testing to stable;
thx guys, especially mschwendt!

  * nirik will test them

 * repo layout

  * the plan written at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/GuidelinesAndPolicies#head-a98bce5283ee336393aec81cf6fc90543c0f2277
 was to have directories for each release (e.g. have 5.0 as main repo
now and a symlink from 5 pointing to it; when 5.1 ships run "cp -al 5.0
5.1" and adjust the "5" link to point to 5.1 instead; some weeks or
months later remove the 5.0 dir to save the space; 5.0 btw would not be
maintained anymore, we just leave it around for some weeks/months). This
would allow people still on EL5.0 (for example those using derivates
that do not ship 5.1 some weeks after RH does) to use EPEL5.0 without
running into dependency issues that might arise when a package from
EPEL5.1 depends on something from EL5.1;

  *  seems lots of people forgot about that plan never realized it full
effects; do we still want that stuff? or in a modified way maybe?

 * RHEL 5.1

   * will likely be out soon; we don't know exactly when; thus the
estimated EPEL testing -> stable move that is pushed in parallel will
likely be a week (or two?) after EL 5.1 is out

 * do more on the list and less in the meetings; "Power to the people
with no delay." aka "Steering Committee's are slow and old style" -- all

  * some discussion how to exactly do this; more discussions to follow
the list

 * RH relations

  * warren: BTW, I inserted this rule into RH's processes for adding a
new package to RHEL.  Something like "Check EPEL to be sure your new
package is newer"

 *  Free discussion around EPEL

  * sticking with the alternate meeting time? we try another two or
three weeks and decide afterwards

=== Full Log ===

https://www.redhat.com/archives/epel-devel-list/2007-September/msg00006.html

== Stats ==

=== General ===

Number of EPEL Contributors 6

We welcome 6 new contributors: candyz joshuadf lkundrak ondrejj salimma
sundaram

=== EPEL 5 ===

Number of source packages: 655

Number of binary packages:  1261

There are 18 new Packages:

 * abcde | A Better CD Encoder
 * aspell-sk | Slovak dictionaries for Aspell
 * cd-discid | Utility to get CDDB discid information
 * cvs2cl | Generate ChangeLogs from CVS working copies
 * dbench | Filesystem load benchmarking tool
 * directfb | Graphics abstraction library for the Linux Framebuffer Device
 * gcin | Input method for Traditional Chinese
 * gtk-qt-engine | A project allowing GTK to use Qt widget styles.
 * isync | Tool to synchronize IMAP4 and Maildir mailboxes
 * kasablanca | Graphical FTP client
 * lyx | WYSIWYM (What You See Is What You Mean) document processor
 * mach | Make a chroot
 * python-GnuPGInterface | A Python module to interface with GnuPG
 * pyzor | Pyzor collaborative spam filtering system
 * rubygem-rake | Ruby based make-like utility
 * rubygems | The Ruby standard for packaging ruby libraries
 * svn2cl | Create a ChangeLog from a Subversion log
 * tomcat-native | Tomcat native library

=== EPEL 4 ===

Number of source packages: 418

Number of binary packages:  850

There are 3 new Packages:

 * isync | Tool to synchronize IMAP4 and Maildir mailboxes
 * python-GnuPGInterface | A Python module to interface with GnuPG
 * pyzor | Pyzor collaborative spam filtering system

----
["CategoryEPELReports"]