Fwd: Graphical Shutdown

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Mon Sep 17 19:37:06 UTC 2007

> I'd need to benchmark some more, but I suspect the delay is because of
> a linear sequence of:
>
> - kill -TERM $pid
> - wait to see if it's dead
> - kill -KILL $pid
>
> for each service, as opposed to a global
>
> - kill -TERM $everything
> - wait a second
> - kill -KILL $everything

You're talking academically, right? Because the second scenario is never
going to happen, right?

The second scenario is a fixed-time scenario (1+ second) but is wrong in
a couple of levels. I think we can assume that some services need to be
shut down in a certain sequence if they're to be properly shut down at
all. But even if we disregarded that and let the services shut down as
best they can, killing all processes at the same time could result in
the system thrashing at bottlenecks like harddisk access.

What would the point be of comparing the two speeds, then if the "best
case scenario" isn't actually useful?

There are certain baseline needs that have to be satisfied before any
time comparison are to be made, IMO.
--

Richi Plana