Announcing the Audio Creation SIG / CCRMA merger effort

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Mon Sep 17 20:06:46 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 21:50 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Richi Plana wrote:
> > How about some reference links to CCRMA on the SIG wiki, particularly
> > the software-related ones?
> >
> > The SIG is called AudioCreation, but is it going to concentrate
> > specifically on CCRMA for its lifecycle? I understand there are other
> > audio-related Linux packaging attempts like AGNULA
> > or any of the attempts at this page:
> > http://linux-sound.org/distro.html
> >

> Have you read the wiki? Quoting it: "The Audio Creation SIG is currently in a
> phase were we are concentrating on getting more audio related packages in to
> Fedora and specifically concentrating on getting CCRMA packages integrated into
> Fedora"

Yes, I read the page and the particular line in the page "concentrating
on getting CCRMA packages integrated" (in fact, the line you qutoed is
on your announcement, as well) is what has me confused. That's why I'm
trying to clarify. Is the SIG specifically about CCRMA only or is it
"AudioCreation" in general?

> Notice the currently in a phase, so in the future we may well do other things
> too, including adding packages from other repositories / package software not
> yet packaged.

And that's the answer to my question. Now for the reason that I asked:
If it was going to be CCRMA-specific (and really there's nothing wrong
with that IMO), then perhaps a change of SIG title would best reflect
it. If it's going to be general like you just stated, then I was going
to suggest putting links to other endeavors, if not now then maybe
later. That's merely a suggestion that no one is obliged to do. But I
suggest it so that if there's any way the good work on these various
projects can be combined in one solution, then it would be best to look
at them all now.

If people are going to take the time to help getting CCRMA integrated
into Fedora, they're not going to get thrown off or confused just by
seeing what else is out there.

Best of luck to the SIG. I'd like to see this succeed and am offering my
help in packaging other CCRMA software. I'll assume that coordinating
the efforts will be done on the fedora-music-list.
--

Richi Plana