Where is Alexander Larsson (Nautilus bug)?

Christopher Brown snecklifter at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 21:52:04 UTC 2007

On 18/09/2007, Richi Plana <myfedora at richip.dhs.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 10:59 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > > The bug was filed on 2007-06-08 (over 3 months ago) by J H Ettle and
> > > added my +1 to it on 2007-08-29.  Is Alexander missing?  Is there a
> > > co-maintainer who should be available?
> >
> > I don't know what help a co-maintainer for fedora would do. What we need
> > are more people to look at bugs, come up with patches that fix them and
> > post them upstream, where I can review and commit them. This will then
> > instantly come back to fedora (beacuse we track upstream closely).
> >
> > Unfortunately, not many people seem interested in doing this work. :(
>
> Either that or bugzilla needs a better way to allocate tasks.
>
> Having worked as a software developer for quite some time, I know how
> many developers would rather just work on a problem rather than try to
> validate bug reports and gather missing information. Personally, I would
> rather work on bugs that either interest me really well, or are provided
> in a format that allows me to work on the problem immediately.
>
> Unfortunately, qualifying bug reports (finding dupes, going back to the
> reporter for missing information) can only be done by people who know
> exactly what real problems are and what's needed to resolve them.

This is simply untrue. I am currently about halfway through a bug triage of
all Fedora 7 kernel bugs and am doing so solely on the basis of one page
from the wiki which the kernel team put together. I know nothing of kernel
code but I do know having had a few pointers from people in the know what
information to request under what circumstances. If I can do that for the
kernel I'm sure the same goes for any application.

I know this is something that requires discipline and structure ...
> something that doesn't always go hand-in-hand with the nature of
> volunteer work, but it's something that has to be addressed in order for
> bugs to be proactively addressed (rather than wait for someone to bring
> it up on a mailing list). As FOSS endeavors grow (and the number of
> users increase), there's got to be ways to improve on volunteer
> bug-fixing.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> I've always wondered if the assignment of tasks can be round-robin'd (or
> pick some better way of scheduling tasks that's completely and really
> fair, ;) ) assuming we had a couple of more volunteers.
>
> I think you just need to dive right into bugzilla and whatever component
interests you then start with that. Bug triage is quite rewarding and people
actually feel a little loved. Surely there is nothing like the hurt and pain
of an un-answered bug report?

Cheers
Chris

--