Can Name=GenericName go away now, please?

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Wed Sep 19 06:16:54 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 15:05 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 12:52 -0600, Richi Plana wrote:
>

> > Can't we do something like "<action> <language-specific-preposition>
> > <application>" (ie. "Play Multimedia with Totem", "View Graphical Images
> > with gimp", "Edit Graphical Images with gimp" or whatever the sequence
> > is in other languages). Or perhaps "<action> (<application>)" like "Play
> > Movies (Totem)"
>
> Any such attempts are broken i18n-wise. The only thing that works for
> translation is complete strings.

I felt that I should maybe write down how I think this can be addressed.

Changing translations is something that needs to happen upstream, and
needs to have buy-in. The most realistic plan of attack, imo is to add a
new field, e.g

DescriptiveName

and define that the value can contain placeholders for the name and
generic name.
Then we can add

DescriptiveName=%N - %G

or similar, which will work for a good number of locales, and still
allow

DescriptiveName[de]=Donnervogel, bringt die Post

to override on a per-locale basis.

As you can see, this requires a desktop entry spec addition, unless you
want to go X-Fedora-, which I wouldn't recommend.

Also, it may need gnome-menus api additions. In any case, this is not F8
material.