Root login in rawhide and display managers

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Wed Sep 19 14:40:44 UTC 2007

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
> Richi Plana wrote:
>> On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 07:37 -0500, Jon Ciesla wrote:
>>
>>> Can this information be included on the login screen, somewhere
>>> small and
>>> discreet, like in faded text on the bottom left or something?  I was
>>> unaware of it and would have found it useful one evening some time ago.
>>>

>> How about suggest a change in GDM so that when a user tries to log-in
>> with the "root" account, it displays a message box informing them that
>> root login is disabled and what their options are?
>> --
>>
> Your currently trying to log in as root ( oh did I type root I was
> gonna write smurkydoo )
> The root account is currently disable please press <ctrl><alt> F1 type
> root as your Login name and the root password enable the root account
> exit then try again..
>
> lol....

If this is gonna be *good* user experience users need to be able to enable
the root account in gdm/kdm/xdm etc..

First user tries to log in as root gets an *hint* that he need to go to
option --> enable root login, types the root password, root account enabled
logs in as root receives an stripped down administrative/rescue desktop

Best regards
                 Johann B.

--

Johann B. Gudmundsson. RHCE,CCSA
Unix System Engineer.
Taeknigardi, Dunhaga 5.			Email:		johannbg at hi.is
IS-107 Reykjavik.			Phone:		+354-525-4267
Iceland.				  Fax:		+354-552-8801