Root login in rawhide and display managers

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Sep 19 15:46:59 UTC 2007

> Matthew Miller wrote:
>

> > Probably. :) No coffee yet this morning. But what I meant was: just because
> > RHEL customers are an *example* of a class where this is obviously a bad
> > idea doesn't mean that it's not also a bad idea for Fedora users.
>
> Correct but just be direct and explain why it would be a bad idea for a
> desktop spin of Fedora.
The desktop spin is the bad idea - A desktop/Single user/single seat
system is just a setup of a modular OS/set of packages, just as is a
"universal server" or a "dedicated server".

I am pretty certain many Fedora users use Fedora for both situations and
consider a "mere desktop spin" a waste of time.

>  That's more useful than talking about RHEL. We
> all know the audience is different between these distributions.
It is not.
- Otherwise EPEL would not exist.
- Those using RHEL @situation X (eg. @work) not unlikely are the same
people running Fedora @situation Y (eg. @home)