Root login in rawhide and display managers

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Wed Sep 19 17:21:52 UTC 2007

Richi Plana wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 14:06 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>
>> User should be able to turn on/off/enable/disable  services ( the
>> service's that aren't the mandatory one's ) in Anaconda
>>

> Beg to disagree. Anaconda should just concentrate on getting the real
> Fedora image installed so that it becomes the running system (its kernel
> and filesystem is used). You can argue for it at firstboot, though. Or
> just put it in kickstart (if possible).

Then you must agree with me that Anaconda  should enable just the
service's that are the mandatory one's and no other..
For a system functional  installation...
And the user enables the rest of the services himself during first boot,
first login or when ever he chooses to do so...

If we are gonna go the way to let the system make the decision for the
user then where are we gonna draw the line on how *smart*
the system is....

Lets just go all the way!!!!...

Anaconda should then be able to install *default* installation for the
user in no more then 3 <mouse> clicks..

User inserts CD/DVD/USB/<other possible media formats>  boots up AND
ends up in Anaconda <Advanced user can press and hold down or
do some glorious key combination to enter linux terminal installation
prompt where he can type *Advanced* kernel parameters.. ( askmethod text
etc.. )

First Menu...
presentation..
Legal stuff accept/decline <click1> --->

                                    User is presented with installation
types

                                                 Desktop <click2>
System does educated guess on user preference --->
                                                 Server/Advanced

                        Finish screen...

                              User presented with reboot < click3 >

3 mouse clicks!!! no more no less..

Best regards
                  Johann B.

--

Johann B. Gudmundsson. RHCE,CCSA
Unix System Engineer.
Taeknigardi, Dunhaga 5.			Email:		johannbg at hi.is
IS-107 Reykjavik.			Phone:		+354-525-4267
Iceland.				  Fax:		+354-552-8801