iwl3945 - kill switch issue - how do I contribute

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 18:42:39 UTC 2007

On 9/2/07, Ola Thoresen <redhat at olen.net> wrote:
> Valent Turkovic wrote:
>  >
> > Ok, thanks
> >
> > So any ideas? Any help from you or anybody else?
>

> No ideas, I'm afraid, but I believe I have the same problem.
> No matter what position the kill switch is set - and no matter if I boot
> or just rmmod/modprobe the module I get the "Kill switch is on"-message.
>
> There is a thread over at the Ubuntu-forums where I have made a few
> postings:

> Rgds.
>
> Ola Thoresen

Ok, I fixed the issue but only with using Windows :(

I booted to my windows partition (which I don't use more than once a month) to
test this behavior also there. When I presses hardware button only bluetooth got
enabled or disabled, but when I clicked on the pop up window from HP wireless
assistant from there enabling wireless was only click away. After software
enabling wireless through HP Wireless assistant now pressing hardware button
(RF_KILL switch) enables or disables BOTH bluetooth and wireless under windows.

Now I booted back to Fedora and I have wireless device if I leave in enabled
during boot via RF_KILL switch. If I try to enable it via RF_KILL switch after
the machine has booted I don't get wireless but rmmod and modprobe fixes that.

it this helpful?

Why can't I overrule software RF_KILL switch within linux?

When I bootup my system with software kill ON from windows and into Fedora I get
this:

# cat
/sys/bus/pci/drivers/iwl3945/module/drivers/pci\:iwl3945/0000\:10\:00.0/rf_kill
2

# iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.
eth0      no wireless extensions.

then I try to echo "0"

[root at rawhide ~]# echo "0" >>
/sys/bus/pci/drivers/iwl3945/module/drivers/pci\:iwl3945/0000\:10\:00.0/rf_kill
[root at rawhide ~]#
[root at rawhide ~]# cat
/sys/bus/pci/drivers/iwl3945/module/drivers/pci\:iwl3945/0000\:10\:00.0/rf_kill
2

So as you can seen I cannot switch off software kill under linux, but I can
under windows.

I must add that all the time hardware RF_KILL switch is DISABLED and not enabled
as you could conclude from reading "rf_kill" kernel file.

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic