Root login in rawhide and display managers

David Boles dgboles at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 01:36:22 UTC 2007

on 9/19/2007 6:09 PM, � wrote:
>> on 9/19/2007 4:29 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>>> And I assume that KDE users are just happy to run tons of unaudited
>>> toolkit code as root...
>>>
>>> Anyway, its a moot point, we'll re-enable root login for test3.
>>
>> I have watched this thread since the beginning and I can no longer keep my
>> peace.
>>
>> A knowledgeable Linux user would know how to change this default. Or
>> figure out how to change. I know how and I am certainly not on the level
>> of many here.
>>

> True so he know he can simply <ctrl><alt>F1 and take it from there...
>
>> A 'not so knowledgeable Linux user' would use the 'enter Roots password'
>> windows to preform these tasks.
>>

> And if the user manage to shoot himself in the foot so he cant login
> using his username and password how is he gonna manage to get to his
> "enter the root password dialog"....
>
>> Any user that can not do either of these things *does not* have any
>> business logging in as root in a GUI. Period.
>
> Wrong he has a fighting chance to save himself log into familiar
> surroundings fix the situation with S-C-* tools, learn from his mistake
> instead of have to do clean install or bother advanced users given that they
> are some where around him.
>
> The alternitive "dropping him to terminal window" were he would be dead in
> the water...
>
>> Or do you want Fedora 8 to be like Windows?
>
> No...
>
>> Where 'run as root' is the
>> default for the 'not so knowledgeable Windows user'?
>
> Last time I used M$ windows it made dam sure that the user could harm
> the system ( windows it self ) and question every other move he did..
>
> Maybe Windows is actually trusting user today but I doubt it...
>
>> You want them to be
>> able to shoot themselves in the foot?
>
> Yes. the users will learn from there mistakes, adopt,evolve and move on..
>
> Let's place the trust on the user always.
>
>> I hope not.
>>
>> Want to use Linux, be a Linux Geek, so to speak? Learn a little more about
>> it first. More than downloading an ISO and burning it it Windows.
>
> Nope get the user first into linux as hazle free and comfortable as
> possible...
>
>>From there he will start using, playing, fiddle around *expanding his
> knowledge about linux. etc..

Well as soon as Linux can play Oblivion, Solder of Fortune, Half-Life, and
the so many other Windows games you will get a *lot* of 'new Linux users'
from Windows. Just as ignorant as you are looking for here.

I give up. Logical thinking does not work when dealing with zealots. But I
still think that you are wrong. No default GUI root logins.

--

  David