Root login in rawhide and display managers

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Wed Sep 19 21:43:12 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 17:06 -0400, David Boles wrote:
> Want to use Linux, be a Linux Geek, so to speak? Learn a little more about
> it first. More than downloading an ISO and burning it it Windows. I did
> that years ago. How about you?

Now that's not a nice mentality.

I'm a self-professed computer geek, but it's my opinion that a person
should be good at what they aim to accomplish. If they mean to write a
great essay on a wordprocessor on Linux, then they don't need to be
proficient with Linux. Just writing. OTOH, if you want to be a Linux
machines system administrator, then that person should damn well know
what the heck is going on under the hood of their machine (as opposed to
just button-clicking). Even with grammar-correction, writers should know
well the rules of grammar.

The beauty in Linux is that as the software matures, people find
themselves being more productive in whatever goal they set themselves
out to use a computer for. Hopefully, it might even allow them to be
creative about it in ways that weren't open to them before using Linux.
(That's how I got hooked on code reusability and the Unix philosophy.)
--

Richi Plana