Root login in rawhide and display managers

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Sep 20 14:12:20 UTC 2007

Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 07:23:11PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> These two are very significant technical differences.
>
> Indeed, but do they get into line with respect with non root/root login
> in dm issue?

Nope but Ralf claimed that there are no significant technical
differences at all which is something I disagreed with. Besides the kind
of customers you target a commercial product with is not merely a matter
of technical differences. For various reasons, these distributions play
different roles.

>> Majority of updates are backported patches to maintain ABI compatibility.
>
> Ok, still the lifetime difference.

I am not sure what you mean here. A distribution life cycle is not tied
to ABI compatibility.

> I don't know exactly because I had no contact with the RHEL people in
> charge of openmotif, but it is not completly clear that RHEL 6 will use
> lesstif. As always I would apreciate more info on that, but...

I believe these sort of changes are discussed only closer to the release
but you can ask Daniel Reik, riek AT redhat.com if this is something
that you need to know urgently.

Rahul