Root login in rawhide and display managers

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Thu Sep 20 14:50:45 UTC 2007

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 08:11:49PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Patrice Dumas wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 07:42:20PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>>> I believe these sort of changes are discussed only closer to the release
>>> but you can ask Daniel Reik, riek AT redhat.com if this is something that
>>> you need to know urgently.
>> Not urgently, but for packages in EPEL and fedora it would be nice to
>> have consistent provides for Motif implementations, be it openmotif or
>> lesstif.
>
> It is very much unlikely that RHEL will switch to lesstif in an update so
> this is not going to happen in the short term atleast.

It is about providing consistent virtual provides, not real provides. In
my opinion switching to openmotif in the middle of a RHEL release
wouldn't be good (not to mention that openmotif and lesstif aren't ABI
compatible). And this is something I care about only if lesstif isn't
used in RHEL 6.

> RHEL 6 will likely
> just inherit the Fedora changes.

That's what I would like to know.