mono Provides

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de
Thu Sep 20 15:15:15 UTC 2007

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 06:57:40 -0600, Richi Plana wrote:

> It's certainly not unheard of for different packages to provide the same
> implementation of an interface. In fact, we should probably start
> thinking of coming up for solutions for such a scenario.

Technically, the different packages should only offer the same
implementation of an interface if they make it available in a public
place of the run-time environment where it is found by default by all
components which may require a given implementation. General examples
for such places are the dynamic linker's search paths for shared
libraries [1], Perl/Python module directories, and most likely similar
directories for Mono and other programming-language run-time
environments. If, however, they store the implementation in a private
directory, where it doesn't satisfy run-time requirements by default,
they should not advertise the implemented interface [via the RPM
system]. It bears the risk of breaking other packages like with this
Perl module example: http://bugzilla.redhat.com/247113

--
[1] The automatic SONAME Provides are a smoldering fire, since by
default the soname for any lib in a private path is provided by