Root login in rawhide and display managers

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Sep 20 15:14:44 UTC 2007

> Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 07:23:11PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >> These two are very significant technical differences.
> >
> > Indeed, but do they get into line with respect with non root/root login
> > in dm issue?
>
> Nope but Ralf claimed that there are no significant technical
> differences at all which is something I disagreed with. Besides the kind
> of customers you target a commercial product with is not merely a matter
> of technical differences. For various reasons, these distributions play
> different roles.
What is significantly different between the situation
a secretary in an office desktop writing texts/browsing the web etc. is
in and those of your Grandmother/ your 10 year old son doing the same
@home?

None. In both situations you will need a sysadmin.

What is the difference between somebody archiving his photographs in a
database-server @home and somebody archiving his photographs in a
database-server @work?

None. Both servers contain valuable data, both servers need a fairly
high reliability.

What is more valuable? Your digital wedding holiday's photographs @home
or your latest RH work @RH?

> >> Majority of updates are backported patches to maintain ABI compatibility.
Irrelevant from a desktop USER's POV.

To them, what matters is "their application simply works".

Ralf