[RFC] /var versus /srv

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri Sep 21 15:36:56 UTC 2007

Le Ven 21 septembre 2007 16:54, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" a écrit :

> Disagree with keeping /srv ( -1 :)  )
>
> All admins should be able to use the mkdir command to create the
> directory.

And every server config file we ship should contain gems like:

# Sample config file
# Brought to you by Fedora, your secure admin-friendly distribution!
#
# This is where you'll usually want data to be
# Since we won't touch /srv, create these directories yourself
# P.S. Sample content can be copied from %doc
# P.P.S. Do not forget to use the right unix permissions
# P.P.P.S. Do not forget to label them with the right selinux rules
#
# datadir=/srv/foo

Or alternatively

# Default config file
# Brought to you by Fedora, your secure admin-friendly distribution!
#
# We use the /var/somelonginsanepath/foo for our default config.
# Most admins prefer to have it somewhere under /srv
# But we won't do so, nah
# Please create your /srv roots yourself
# P.S. Sample content can be copied from  /var/somelonginsanepath/foo
# P.P.S. Do not forget to use the right unix permissions
# P.P.P.S. Do not forget to label them with the right selinux rules

datadir=/var/somelonginsanepath/foo

Progress! Fedora, the distro formerly known as "just works"!

--
Nicolas Mailhot