[RFC] /var versus /srv

Farkas Levente lfarkas at bppiac.hu
Fri Sep 21 19:51:02 UTC 2007

seth vidal írta:
> On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 16:45 +0200, Farkas Levente wrote:
>> seth vidal wrote:

>>> - /var/log - shouldn't matter - it's being sent to centralized log hosts
>>> which I've always had put files in /srv/logs
>>> - /var/mail has no data - all your mail should be in your central mail
>>> server and not in /var/mail but in another path /srv/mail or /srv/mqueue
>>> often
>>>
>>> - /var/spool/cron doesn't have any files in it b/c users are not allowed
>>> to add cron jobs except on highly specific systems. Moreover, if you're
>>> adding root or system-controlled cron jobs they should go in /etc/cron.d
>>> or in the /etc/cron.hourly, /etc/cron.daily, etc directories.
>>>
>>> never in /var/spool/cron and NEVER add by such a cumbersome tool as cron
>> i agree with you about /srv, but not with the above. do you have any
>> system with real users? why don't you allow cron jobs for normal users???
>
> systems get reinstalled frequently. Therefore cron jobs get nuked and
> end up causing pain. There are central servers they can install cron
> jobs on - but not any random box on the network.

ohh nooo! first of all we talk about workstation or server? if you
reinstall servers frequantly then probably you're a good sysadm and can
desing your servers in an advance way:-). what's more you probably don't
save /var/lib/mysql just dump it and don't save /var/named neither
/var/spool/postfix (probably all of your mails on a real server can
delivered right at send time and all of you queues are empty) your
/var/cache/samba don't contains any useful info (have you ever use samba?).
so imho you write it too fast or you've a bad day like me:-(