[RFC] /var versus /srv

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri Sep 21 21:55:21 UTC 2007

Le vendredi 21 septembre 2007 à 21:51 +0200, Farkas Levente a écrit :

> ohh nooo! first of all we talk about workstation or server? if you
> reinstall servers frequantly then probably you're a good sysadm and can
> desing your servers in an advance way:-). what's more you probably don't
> save /var/lib/mysql just dump it and don't save /var/named neither
> /var/spool/postfix (probably all of your mails on a real server can
> delivered right at send time and all of you queues are empty) your
> /var/cache/samba don't contains any useful info (have you ever use samba?).
> so imho you write it too fast or you've a bad day like me:-(

Get real, very few systems are under 24/24 replication to some other
remote or secure system. Most of them get backuped daily or weekly.

Right now /var mixes :
1. data that can be safely lost/erased at any time (caches)
2. data that the admin should work a little harder to protect (for
example, it should never be erased on reboot) but is transient by
nature. For example mail/print spools. It's pretty useless to backup
them because their state is almost certain to have changed by the time
the system has crashed, and if your restore the nightly/weekly backup
you'll probably only re-queue data that was already moved somewhere else
3. long-term data. That's what people move to /srv or a separate root -
it absolutely requires specific backup policies, and because it's served
from this particular system you won't find it anywhere else in case of
problem

--
Nicolas Mailhot