Root login in rawhide and display managers

Rudolf Kastl che666 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 11:53:40 UTC 2007

2007/9/21, David Boles <dgboles at gmail.com>:
> on 9/20/2007 3:11 AM, Rudolf Kastl wrote:
> > 2007/9/20, David Boles <dgboles at gmail.com>:
> >> on 9/19/2007 6:09 PM, � wrote:
> >>
> >> Well as soon as Linux can play Oblivion, Solder of Fortune, Half-Life, and
> >> the so many other Windows games you will get a *lot* of 'new Linux users'
> >> from Windows. Just as ignorant as you are looking for here.
> >
> > well please do your homework:
> >
> > http://appdb.winehq.com
> >
> > sof even has a native linux port.
> >
> > regards,
> > Rudolf Kastl
>
> You should have looked a little harder before you jumped to defend Windows
> games for Linux.  ;-)

i didnt defend anything here, just stated the facts.

> I mentioned those games only because they came to mind late at night.
> Those are all old, by gaming standards very old, games. SOF is from 2000
> for example and basically abandoned. It will run because it is OpenGL and
> could be ported. Oblivion and Half-Life are written 'in' DirectX. Those
> would not, and many others I would think, run in Wine. Ever. Nor will they
> run in VMware.

wine does run directx based games. just to get the facts straight
again. wine is not an emulator in the traditional sense but actually
for the large part an abstraction layer for the windows api.

again: www.winehq.org and appdb.winehq.org will show you.

regards,
Rudolf Kastl