Calling any text editor for any text file

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sat Sep 22 20:59:53 UTC 2007

On Saturday 22 September 2007, Marcin Zajączkowski wrote:
> Ville Skyttä wrote:

> Does emacs graphical interface (doesn't need a console)?

Yes.  It also starts faster than XEmacs and integrates better with the desktop
(at least look and feel wise) so I suggest trying it before XEmacs in the
script.

Also, I don't know if XFCE comes with a text editor or a few, they could also
be added to the mix.

> But if you know more programs (packagers) that have similar problem a
> script could be enhanced to be more "powerful" :)

I do see some general purpose use cases for such a script.

> Btw, is there a simple way to determine already running desktop
> environment?

One way is in /usr/bin/xdg-open, see detectDE() in it.

> > - Would be nice to have this kind of a tool in xdg-utils, eg. as
> > "xdg-edit" or "xdg-open --edit".  Ask xdg-utils upstream?
>
> Why not. I wrote it because that option was missing in xdg-utils.
>
> But maybe I'm the only one who needs that functionality?

I don't think so.  Additionally, I think this would be useful for other file
types besides text files for viewing vs editing, eg. image files.