yum pulling in 386 packages

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Sun Sep 23 20:28:35 UTC 2007

On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 10:28:34PM +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:

> On Sunday 23 September 2007, David Woodhouse wrote:

> > That strategy is, quite simply, wrong. In all other cases we call an
> > implementation of such a misguided strategy a 'bug'.
>
> I tend to agree.  Is the strategy documented somewhere so one can educate
> oneself and verify that this indeed is the desired behaviour that follows
> from it?  I'm having hard time coming up with any arguments that would
> support the way things currently work, but would be interested in finding out
> if I've missed something.

Also, thy explanation that yum exactly does what the intended strategy
for Fedora is, is not very satisfying...  Yum should ideally implement
various strategies (maybe via plugins), and Fedora can then be configured
by default for "the intended strategy".  If Fedora changes strategies,
there should be no need to adapt the software (only its configuration).

People wanting to use other strategies (a few have already passed in
this thread) should be able to do so.

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>