Hardware check idea

Ryan McDonough itendsnow at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 20:49:35 UTC 2007

After proposing this in the Fedora irc room I decided to post it to everyone
on the list for feedback:

I would like to see an application that would run on windows/osx/linux that
would check hardware and see if your mobo/cpu/fans etc will work with the
newer kernels and if not what boot commands you may need and what problems
these boot commands may cause, it would check against the current top 5
distrobutions kernels, plus the current standard kernel.

 It wouldn't be total hardware like gfx etc, just the core hardware like
mobo, cpu, fans as its the hardware that you can't really change (easily)
unlike a video card.

I feel this would bring great benefits as it would allow people to see if
the newer distrobutions will actually boot with no problems without having
to download 700mb live cd images and take all the time and effort to burn
the cd and then have to report that it wouldn't boot on a forum.

I have experienced a problem with a kernel update after the 2.6.20 release
that the newer distrobutions were using as I couldn't/can't boot without
noacpi acpi=off, added to my boot command which causes power management to
go bye bye along with my monitor after 15 minutes.

I'm not a great programmer as I've just started, but I would like to see if
people think this project is feasible and a good use of developers time and
help/learn as much as I could.

-Ryan